March 12, 2020
Dear Congregation of Our Savior,
As you know, the Coronavirus is of growing concern both nationally, and now in our local area. Our primary concern is for the health and well-being of our members and the community we serve. Out of abundance of caution and in consultation with the Congregation Council and staff, we are taking the following steps to help protect everyone’s health, safety, and well-being as well as do our part in stopping the spread of this harmful virus. Please be aware that this is a fluid situation, and these steps are subject to change based on new information. We will notify you right away should any changes become necessary, especially as the virus is contained, controlled, or the threat is diminished.
- Public worship will be suspended until April 9, which is Maundy Thursday. Instead, we will provide a livestream worship experience on Sunday mornings using Facebook Live at 10:30AM in addition to recording the worship on DVD for members who do not have access to the internet. Go to www.facebook.com/oursaviorhaddonfield for the livestream. Go to our website, www.oursaviorhaddonfield.org, for ministry updates in the coming weeks.
- The staff will be sending out an email each week by Thursday evening that will include updated information on ministry events scheduled for after April 9.
- First Holy Communion will be held on Easter Sunday instead of March 29
- Offerings toward God’s work in the world can be
made by the following ways:
- Mail your offerings to the church.
- Consider providing your offering by electronic means either through your bank’s bill pay option or going to Our Savior’s webpage (www.oursaviorhaddonfield.org) and clicking on the “Give” link and then the green “Simply Giving” link to make a contribution through your bank account (with no transaction fee), or your credit or debit card (with transaction fee applied to donation).
FAITH FORMATION/ EDUCATION
- In lieu of Sunday School we will include a Children’s Message at the end of Facebook Livestream worship that will include directions for parents to utilize the lesson pamphlets we include as an attachment in the weekly email.
- Confirmation Classes will also be suspended from meeting at the church. We are exploring the option of providing Zoom Learn Events on the scheduled dates or possibly making up the two Learn Events scheduled for March 22 and April 5.
- Lenten Midweek Discussions will be suspended for Lent and we may resume them after Lent as the topic of evangelism is relevant in and out of Lent.
PANTRY/MY FATHER’S HOUSE SOCIAL MINISTRY
- Pantry: There are sufficient funds in the Pantry Dedicated Account to cover the shortfall in donations over the four weeks. Pantry volunteers are invited to continue coming in to the church to pack and/or deliver for and to pantry families.
- My Father’s House Meals: We ask those who volunteered to continue making their meal for the date indicated and drop off in the Pantry refrigerator or to My Father’s House directly.
MINISTRY COMMITTEES/TEAMS & NON-LCOS PUBLIC USE
- All ministry committees, groups, and organizations will suspend meeting at the church until April 9.
- All non-LCOS groups, organizations, or other public use of the building is suspended until April 9.
- The Haddonfield Child Care is the only organization that will have use of the building as long as the Haddonfield School District continues to provide in-class instruction as no other groups will be using the building during this time.
We are the body of Christ both when we physically gather together in the sanctuary or virtually through the gift of technology. God hears our prayers and we hear God’s continued promise of hope and new life even in the face of despair and even death. This decision was not an easy one, but done so that the spread of COVID-19 might be curtailed and contained as best as possible for all people. Please know I am still available to you both in person and by phone, email, or text. We pray our gathering for the celebration of the Resurrection of our Lord on Easter Sunday is truly one we can all shout with joy, “He is risen indeed! Alleluia!”
Blessings and Christ’s peace in this time of Lent,
Pastor Wayne Zschech